Experience & Requirements:
- Previous optometric technician experience preferred
- Excellent customer service & organization skills
- Must have good communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong math and computer skills
- Previous medical experience or interest in medical industry preferred
- Bilingual (recommended but not required)
- Input medical history and patient information into EHR system for examination
- Complete pre-test; obtain brief medical history, complete auto refraction, visual acuity, color test, stereopsis test, amsler grid test, etc.
- Perform various diagnostic testing including OPTOS, OCT and Visual Field
- Assist patients with contact lens insertion and removal. Including on how to proper cleaning and storage contact lenses.
- Read and interpret patient eyewear and input into EHR system
- Assist doctors in examination by performing test and helping with patient flow
- Multi-task handling multiple doctors patients and ensuring patients are prepped for doctors
- Inputs patient and prescription data accurately into the software system. Order and file eyeglasses/contact orders through vision plan in a timely manner
- Dispensing patients eyeglasses and contact lenses as per TSO standard
- Adjust eyewear to patient using appropriate tools and instruct on cleaning and handling
- Answering phones in a helpful and friendly manner. Greeting patients, making appointments and notifying patients when product is ready.
- Assist the office team in maintaining the office’s visual objective and housekeeping standards by maintaining frame board and work areas
- Perform duties in such a manner as not to jeopardize the safety and health of themselves, fellow associates, and patients
- Ensures the privacy and confidentiality as required by HIPPA and other federal and state privacy rules and regulations
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Perform any other tasks assigned by a member of management or physicians
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds, if needed
Job Type: Part-Time
High school or equivalent
Health care experience encouraged
SUMMARY: Provide a broad range of clerical and customer service support for the office including the initial greeting to all patients coming into the office or by phone.
JOB TYPE: Part-Time
JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
• Aid office in conversion to a digital and paperless office by scanning in previous records into EHR system
• Answer telephones in a prompt and courteous manner and greet all patients coming into the office promptly.
• Respond to callers’ inquires, route calls to appropriate person if necessary or take accurate messages.
• Answer common patient questions regarding scheduling, insurance information, directions to the office, etc.
• Maintain public/patient areas, such as front desk, waiting room, etc. to promote positive patient service image.
• Retrieves the answering machine messages and distributes accordingly.
• Create, retrieve and update patient records and solicit information as appropriate from patients in order to maintain accurate and updated patient records.
• Confirms patient appoints and verifies 3rd party insurance eligibility and coverage prior to the appointment. Notifies the patient prior to the appointment if insurance approval is not obtained.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Listens responsively to patient concerns or complaints and provide or seek appropriate remedies to restore and promote good public relations. Refer patients to designated staff member when unable to resolve complaints.
• Use competently standard office equipment such as photocopier, calculator, fax machine and personal computer to support functional activities of the office.
• Displays the ability to build successful relationships with patients, and co-workers. Communicate and work effectively as a team member to maximize the effectiveness of the group.
• Exhibit maturity, reliability, composure and stability under pressure in order to handle on-the-job challenges.
• Understand and abide by a high standard of professional ethics to ensure the integrity of the practice.
• Adapt to new work situations, people, ideas, procedures and organizational structures to accommodate an evolving work environment.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
High School diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence. Bilingual preferred by not mandatory. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
Other Skills and Abilities: This job description is designed to provide you with the primary guidelines of your job responsibilities. You may be required to perform additional duties as instructed by your supervisor or representatives of this company. All employees are expected to expand their potential by cross training into other areas in the office as instructed by your supervisor or company representative.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands or fingers to handle, feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and sit. The employee is frequently required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to focus.